I was privileged to be invited to the media send-off for Timex Philippines delegates to the ING New York City Marathon last October 26, 2013. Being a participant as well this year to the New York Marathon, I was excited to meet Timex brand ambassadors Anthony Pangilinan, Maricel-Laxa Pangilinan and Coach Rio de la Cruz. The send-off was headed by Ms. Ivy Palencia – Timex Marketing Team together with select members of the media.
It was a very casual lunch and people get to ask Anthony, Maricel and Coach Rio INGNYCM related questions which they responded candidly. Here are some excerpts on the conversations during the media send-off:
On Nutrition and diet
– Maricel has been a vegetarian for 13 years now.
– Coach Rio doesn’t follow a diet
– Maricel says that the amount of calories you needed before a race is equal to your weight in pounds multiplied by 2.2. She also advised runners to drink before you even get thirsty. Being thirsty means you are already dehydrated.
On what makes the ING New York City Marathon (INGNYCM) different from other marathons
– According to Coach Rio, it is the biggest marathon in the world. Unlike other marathons, INGNYCM only has one category which is the full marathon.
– The 3 million people who are not running but lining up and cheering the runners is what makes it special for Anthony. This is his second time to run INGNYCM.
– For Maricel, INGNYCM is every serious runner’s bucket list. Maricel was supposed to run her first marathon last year but unfortunately the INGNYCM 2012 edition was cancelled due to hurricane Sandy.
Advise for runners joining the NYCM for the first time
– It is going to be cold said Anthony. Make sure to bring gear that you would be able to throw and give away.
– Coach Rio said to look out for the bridge at the early part of the route. If you’ll be running over the bridge, stay in the middle to avoid the wind. If you’ll be running under the bridge, stay in the middle still to avoid getting wet from runners pissing from the top.
– Anthony also advises to draw energy from the crowd and let that propel you half way through the course. He also added that you should write your name on the bib (front and back) as people will be shouting and cheering your name.
– Constant pace is the best pace and try to utilize the pacers.
– Maricel mentioned that you should have enough rest and not run hard the week before the race.
Having to know that Anthony and Maricel are also running the INGNYCM and what the experiences they shared makes me look forward more to completing my first INGNYCM. Good luck to all of us and I look forward to seeing them on race day. Unfortunately, Coach Rio has withdrawn his spot the last minute due to urgent family matters.
TIMEX’S ING NEW YORK CITY MARATHON FB CONTEST
The ING New York City Marathon is one of the most anticipated and sought after races in the world.
This November 03, 2013, three Filipino athletes will represent the country in this prestigious event. Timex is proud to support Anthony Pangilinan, Maricel Laxa-Pangilinan and Coach Rio .
There is no other feeling than crossing the finish line in the New York Marathon along with other runners from all around the world.
Want to own a Timex Ironman Sleek 50 Lap watch? All you have to do is to join the Timex’s ING New York City Marathon Facebook Contest! Follow the mechanics below and you can win in no time! The contest is from October 18, 2013, 5:00pm to November 4, 2013, 12mn.
All you have to do is “like”, “share” and give a motivational cheer (as your caption for your post) for our Filipino contingents.
On your post, please mention us on Facebook (Timex Sports Philippines), Instagram (timexph), or on Twitter (timexph). Don’t forget to tag our Filipino contingents at their respective social media accounts as seen below.
– @coach_rio316 (Instagram and Twitter)
– @anthonypangilinan (Instagram)
– @mommymaricel (Instagram and Twitter)
– The best motivational and catchy cheer will be declared as the winner.
– Submission of entries will be until November 04, 2013, 12 midnight.
– Winners will be announced on November 08, 2013 at 5:00pm.
– Remember, management decision is final